Descent 2 for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10
Play Descent II with D2X-Rebirth
Descent 2 is, like it's predecessor quite playable with DOSBox. But again, the resolution is very low. Guess what? There's also a source port available for Descent II and it's called D2X-Rebirth! All information can be found on the project page: http://www.dxx-rebirth.com.
So, in short, what do you need to play Descent II on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista or XP in any resolution?
Installation of D2X-Rebirth
- Download and open D2X-Rebirth program files in zip file
- Copy the contents of that zip file to a folder of choice, for example f:\Games, after which the D2X files are in:
- Version 0.58 or earlier: f:\Games\d2x-rebirth_v0.xx.x-win (see image)
- Version 0.60 (beta) or later: f:\Games\D2X-Rebirth
- Create a folder called data in the D2X-Rebirth folder (where also the missions folder is)
- Get the Descent 2 game data files:
- Download the Descent II demo files (PC interactive demo)
- Do you have the original CD-Rom? You'll find the game files - except the Movies (*.mvl) - archived in the file DESCENT2.SOW on the Descent2 CD-Rom in the D2DATA folder. This is an ARJ-archive and can be extracted with WinRAR or 7Zip or by installing the game on a 32 bit Windows or DOS system. If you want to install the original game on a 64 bit version of Windows, use DOSBox.
- Copy the following Descent II game data files to the data folder:
- Registered version: ALIEN1.PIG, ALIEN2.PIG, DESCENT2.HAM, DESCENT2.HOG, DESCENT2.S11, DESCENT2.S22, FIRE.PIG, GROUPA.PIG, ICE.PIG, INTRO-H.MVL and/or INTRO-L.MVL, OTHER-H.MVL and/or OTHER-L.MVL, ROBOTS-H.MVL and/or ROBOTS-L.MVL, WATER.PIG
- Demo version: D2DEMO.HAM, D2DEMO.HOG, D2DEMO.PIG
- Read the README-D2X.txt file from the D2X-Rebirth zip file for additional information about mission packs, addons, multiplayer etc.
Start and configure D2X-Rebirth
- Start the game by double clicking the d2x-rebirth.exe file in the D2X-Rebirth folder, in this example:
- Version 0.58 or earlier: f:\games\d2x-rebirth_v0.xx.x-win\d2x-rebirth.exe
- Version 0.60 (beta) or later: f:\Games\D2X-Rebirth\d2x-rebirth.exe
- Select options in the main menu.
- Select Screen resolution..., select the desired resolution, press the space bar and press escape to return to the options menu.
- Select Graphics options..., set texture filtering to anisotropic, check these checkboxes: transparancy effects, colored dynamic light, vsync, 4x multisampling. Press escape twice to return to the main menu.
Descent II: The Vertigo Series
A year after the release of Descent II, an expansion pack with new missions and enemies was released: The Vertigo Series. You can play these missions too with the D2X-Rebirth engine!
- You have D2X-Rebirth operational (see above)
- Copy the following Vertigo game files to the data folder: d2x-h.mvl and/or d2x-l.mvl, hoard.ham
- Copy the following Vertigo game files to the missions folder: d2x.hog, d2x.mn2
When you start D2X-Rebirth, you can choose between the Counterstrike (original) and Vertigo missions.
Wanna see how to play Descent 2 on Windows 10? Check out our Youtube vid: