Descent 2 for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10
Play Descent II with D2X-Rebirth
Descent 2 is, like it's predecessor quite playable with DOSBox. But again, the resolution is very low. Guess what? There's also a source port available for Descent II and it's called D2X-Rebirth! All information can be found on the project page: http://www.dxx-rebirth.com.
So, in short, what do you need to play Descent II on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista or XP in any resolution?
Stuff you need
- A decent graphics card
- The original Descent II game for the Descent II game files (mentioned below)
- You don't have the original Descent II CD? Get your copy!
- The D2X-Rebirth source port
Installation of D2X-Rebirth
- Download D2X-Rebirth program files in zip file
- Copy the contents of that zip file to a folder of choice, for example f:\Games, after which the D2X files are in f:\Games\d2x-rebirth_v0.xx.x-win (see image).
- Create a folder called data in the D2X-Rebirth folder (where also the missions folder is)
- Copy the following Descent II game files to the data folder: alien1.pig, alien2.pig, descent2.ham, descent2.hog, descent2.s11, descent2.s22, fire.pig, groupa.pig, ice.pig, intro-h.mvl and/or intro-l.mvl, other-h.mvl and/or other-l.mvl, robots-h.mvl and/or robots-l.mvl, water.pig
- Do you have the original CD-Rom? You'll find the game files - except the Movies (*.mvl) - archived in the file DESCENT2.SOW on the Descent2 CD-Rom. This is an ARJ-archive and can be extracted with WinRAR or 7Zip or by installing the game on a 32 bit Windows or DOS system. If you want to install the original game on a 64 bit version of Windows, use DOSBox.
- Read the README-D2X.txt file from the D2X-Rebirth zip file for additional information about mission packs, addons, multiplayer etc.
Start and configure D2X-Rebirth
- Start the game by double clicking the d2x-rebirth.exe file in the D2X-Rebirth folder, in this example f:\games\d2x-rebirth_v0.xx.x-win\d2x-rebirth.exe.
- Select options in the main menu.
- Select Screen resolution..., select the desired resolution, press the space bar and press escape to return to the options menu.
- Select Graphics options..., set texture filtering to anisotropic, check these checkboxes: transparancy effects, colored dynamic light, vsync, 4x multisampling. Press escape twice to return to the main menu.
Descent II: The Vertigo Series
A year after the release of Descent II, an expansion pack with new missions and enemies was released: The Vertigo Series. You can play these missions too with the D2X-Rebirth engine!
- You have D2X-Rebirth operational (see above)
- Copy the following Vertigo game files to the data folder: d2x-h.mvl and/or d2x-l.mvl, hoard.ham
- Copy the following Vertigo game files to the missions folder: d2x.hog, d2x.mn2
When you start D2X-Rebirth, you can choose between the Counterstrike (original) and Vertigo missions.