Doom, Heretic and Hexen with OpenGL support on Windows 7 and Windows 8 (32/64 bits)
Play Doom, Heretic and Hexen with the Doomsday engine
To play Doom, Doom II, Heretic or Hexen on a modern PC with Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista or Windows XP, you can use DOSBox. But there is a better solution, to play these games with a much higher resolution (for example 1920x1080). For that, you'll need the following hard- and software:
- Modern day graphics card
- Doomsday Engine 1.14.x (installation instructions below)
- Original .WAD file from (at least one of) the following games:
Sponsored links (remove)
- Doom Shareware (doom1.wad)
- Doom (doom.wad)
- Ultimate Doom (doom.wad)
- Final Doom: Plutonia Experiment (plutonia.wad)
- Final Doom: TNT Evilution (tnt.wad)
- Doom II (doom2.wad)
- Heretic Shareware (heretic1.wad)
- Heretic (heretic.wad)
- Heretic: Shadow o/t Serpent Riders (heretic.wad)
- Hexen 4-Level Demo (hexen.wad)
- Hexen (hexen.wad)
- Hexen Deathkings of the Dark Citadel (hexen.wad + hexdd.wad)
- You can get the WAD file by installing the original game and copy the WAD file from the installation folder, or download one of the shareware WADs from zdoom.org.
- Want the original Doom WADs? Buy them on Steam!
- Need Heretic and Hexen WADs? Visit the Steam website.
Optional latest addons for Doomsday 1.14.x and newer
- Doom - 3D characters + objects (download)
- Doom - High resolution textures (download)
- Heretic - 3D characters + objects and high resolution textures (download)
- Hexen - High resolution textures (download)
- Hexen - High resolution textures + 3D characters and objects (download) - if your weapons are not visible, try changing the field of depth in the Renderer menu to 70
- Hexen - 3D characters + objects (download) - not stable with V1.9.7 to V1.9.9. Please note that as of V1.9.10 most objects are disabled. To enjoy all 3D objects, use Doomsday V1.9.6.
Installation and configuration of Doomsday
To get the Doomsday engine working with your favorite game, follow these steps:
- Download Doomsday Engine.
- Install the Doomsday Engine. In this example the program is in F:\Games\Doomsday.
- Put your WAD files in the correct data folder. For example:
- In this image the WADs from Doom shareware (DOOM1.WAD), Ultimate Doom (DOOM.WAD), Final Doom (tnt.wad and plutonia.wad) and Doom II (DOOM2.WAD) are in the jdoom folder:
- Put all optional addons in the Doomsday\snowberry\addons folder. Some addons come as resource packs; a folder with a lot of seperate files. Just put that folder into the addons folder (like the Doom resource pack jdrp.box):
- Start Doomsday and follow the instructions of the setup wizard. You can enter the setup wizard later by clicking on Tools - Show Setup Wizard.
- When you have finished the setup wizard, click on the Shared Settings menu and click on the Settings tab. Here you can configure the settings that will be used by all games, unless you change those settings for a specific game.
- Take a look at display settings by clicking the Display button
- You can select whether you want to start the game in either windowed mode or fullscreen mode. By default, Doomsday starts in fullscreen mode
- Configure addons for your games by clicking on one of the games and then click on the addons tab. In this example we will configure addons for Doom:
- Check optional addons to use (jd*.pk3 files are for Doom). Be sure to get these here! In this example we use the "jDoom Resource Pack", the "Doom hi-res Texture Pack", the "HQ DOOM SFX" and the "User interface" addons for Doom:
- Next, click on the Settings tab again. Set the game data file if you haven't done that during the setup wizard. In this example the DOOM.wad file is used:
- Start the game by pressing the Play button at the lower right corner
- When the game has started, enable the Doomsday taskbar by pressing Shift+Esc or by clicking Show taskbar in the options menu. Please note that the taskbar is available as of version 1.12
- Click on the Settings icon, then the Video menu item, then check the selected resolution
- Also make sure Antialias and VSync are enabled for the best experience:
- As of version 1.14 there's a guided tutorial available to explore all settings and options
- To enable the tutorial, press Shift+esc to enter the taskbar, then press the Doomsday logo to enter the application menu and select Show tutorial:
- Press escape several times to exit the taskbar and start a new game!
Field of view
Doomsday allows you to change the field of view (FOV) in your game, as if you look through a huge wide angle lens. Default FOV of Doomsday is 95. As a result, you can't see your weapons anymore in Hexen. Also setting a very high FOV (like 160) in Doom results in disappearing weapons. To adjust FOV, press Shift+esc, click on the Settings icon, select Renderer and adjust Field of view:
Hexen - Deathkings of the Dark Citadel
If you want to play Hexen Deathkings of the Dark Citadel:
- You have Hexen running with the Doomsday engine with the instructions above
- Put HEXDD.WAD file in the jHexen folder
- Check HEXDD.WAD in the addons section at the Hexen settings
As of version 1.10 of Doomsday, it is very easy to start a multiplayer game for one of the games that the Doomsday Engine supports (for example Doom II or Heretic).
Click here for a compact guide. We'll expand the guide in time, we'll keep you posted through Twitter.