Duke Nukem 3D for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10
Play Duke Nukem 3D with EDuke32 engine
Your original copy of the game probably will work fine in DOSBox, when run on a Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista or XP computer. But wouldn't it be great to play the game in high resolution, with 3D models and dynamic lighting? That's possible with the EDuke32 engine. Go to the project page for more information: www.eduke32.com.
Stuff you need
- A very decent graphics card
- The original Duke Nukem 3D game, installed or unzipped, to get the Duke Nukem 3D game files (DUKE3D.GRP and DUKE.RTS)
- Don't own the game? That's too bad, unfortunately, the game is no longer available on Gog.com of Steam. Search for them with your favorite search site.
- The EDuke32 engine
Installation of EDuke32
- Download the EDuke32 engine (click on the Windows icon)
- Copy the contents of the downloaded zip file to an empty folder of choice
- Copy the Duke Nukem 3D game files (DUKE3D.GRP and DUKE.RTS) to that same folder
- Don't have the game files? That's too bad, unfortunately, the game is no longer available on Gog.com of Steam. Search for them with your favorite search site.
Play the game
Start the game with eduke32.exe. You can only select the highest resolutions if you also check the fullscreen checkbox. When the game has started, remember to take a look at the video setup (options - video settings - texture filter and renderer setup) to change the settings to the highest possible values for a better experience.
High resolution pack (HRP) for EDuke32
There's a high resolution pack available for use with the EDuke32 engine. This enables 3D models of your enemies and high quality graphics. Worth the download! To use the HRP, you need to have the EDuke32 engine working, as described above.
Duke Nukem 3D: High Resolution Pack v5.4
This HRP requires a working version of the EDuke32 engine (see above).
- Create a folder called autoload in the EDuke32 folder
- Visit the Download page for the EDuke32 HRP v5.4
- Download the Duke3D HRP v5.4 ZIPFILE (890 MB) - Standalone HRP file
- Save the HRP zip file into the autoload folder (no need to extract contents)
- Start the game loader with eduke32.exe
- Check the polymer and full screen options
- Choose desired resolution
- Check the enable autoload folder option
- Click on start to run the game
- Choose Options and then Video setup
- Set Renderer to 32-bit OpenGL
- Set Texture filter to Trilinear
- Choose Renderer setup
- Set Anisotrophic filtering to 16
- Set Use VSync to Yes
- Set Enable Hires Textures to Yes
- Set the Hires Texture Quality slider to the right
- Set Pre-load Map Textures to On
If the game doesn't run smooth enough, there are options to run the game with another renderer. Check the HRP FAQ for details.
HRP Update pack
Make sure you check the update pack section on the EDuke32 download page for latest changes, as well as the sound pack. Installation of the sound pack:
- Download the zip file with the sound pack
- Copy the zip file into the autoload folder that you have created for the HRP
When you've saved a game and load it, dynamic lightning does not function anymore. We haven't found a solution for this.