Quake on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 in High Resolution
Play Quake with the DarkPlaces engine
Quake: another all time classic, although this DOS game looks like it was never really finished properly (which is true). Poorly designed weaponry. No gun-changing animation. Cartoonish characters. But it was an instant classic FPS anyway, with true 3D level design and polygonal characters, as well as TCP/IP network support. With the DarkPlaces quake engine you still can play Quake on a computer with a modern operating system! The DarkPlaces Quake engine is the best source port we've encountered so far. Other Quake source ports we've tested: ezQuake.
So, what do you need to get Quake running with DarkPlaces on Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7?
Installation of Quake
- If you have an original Quake CD with a DOS version, install the game with DOSBox. Instructions on how to install a game from CD in DOSBox are here. The game files are in the ID1 folder of the Quake installation.
- If you have an original Quake CD with a Windows version, you don't have to install the game. The game files are in the ID1 folder on the CD.
- You don't have the original Quake game? Download Quake (including Mission Pack 1 and 2) on GOG.com or Steam!
Installation of the DarkPlaces Quake engine
- Download the latest stable/official release of the DarkPlaces Quake engine files (20140513) for either 32 or 64 bits versions of Windows
- Copy the contents from the downloaded zip file to an empty folder of choice, in this example c:\games\quakedp.
- Copy the ID1 folder with contents from the Quake installation folder (or the installation CD) into the DarkPlaces folder, in this example you'll end up with c:\games\quakedp\ID1.
Quake CD soundtrack
The music of Quake on the original installation CD consists of CD audio tracks (starting with track 2), which are not copied to your hard disk when you install the game. The audio files remain on the CD. If you want them, you'll have to extract them. However, there is a pk3 archive available which contains the soundtrack, which allows you to play Quake with the DarkPlaces source port AND the original music. Here's how to get and install it:
- Download the soundtrack (Quake-HQ-Music.pk3)
- Copy or the save the downloaded file into the ID1 folder, in this example c:\games\quakedp\ID1\.
Start and configure the DarkPlaces Quake engine
- Start DarkPlaces Quake engine by double clicking the darkplaces.exe file in the c:\games\quakedp folder
- Check settings by selecting Options
- Check basic video settings by selecting the Change Video Mode option in the Options menu, optimal settings:
- Select Effects: high to use preconfigured high quality effect settings
- Select Lighting: full to use preconfigured high quality lighting settings
Quake Mission Packs
- You have a running version of Quake with the DarkPlaces engine, as described above.
- Copy the Mission Pack game file folder(s) to the DarkPlaces folder:
- Quake Mission Pack 1 (Scourge of Armagon): copy the HIPNOTIC folder with all content from the original CD or the Quake installation folder into the DarkPlaces folder, in this example you'll end up with c:\games\quakedp\HIPNOTIC.
- Quake Mission Pack 2 (Dissolution of Eternity): copy the ROGUE folder with all content from the original CD or the Quake installation folder into the DarkPlaces folder, in this example you'll end up with c:\games\quakedp\ROGUE.
- To start the Mission Pack of choice, you have to create and edit a shortcut to the darkplaces.exe file:
- Right click on the darkplaces.exe file in the DarkPlaces folder, in this example c:\games\quakedp\darkplaces.exe, and choose Create shortcut.
- Right click on the created shortcut, choose Rename and change the name to the appropriate mission pack, for example darkplaces.exe - mission pack 1, and press enter.
- Right click again on the created shortcut, choose Properties and change the target field:
- Quake Mission Pack 1: add -hipnotic to the target, in this example the target will be c:\games\quakedp\darkplaces.exe -hipnotic.
- Quake Mission Pack 2: add -rogue to the target, in this example the target will be c:\games\quakedp\darkplaces.exe -rogue.
- Click on ok when you're ready.
- Start the Mission Pack of choice by double clicking the appropriate Mission Pack shortcut
Quake Mission Packs CD Soundtrack
As with Quake, the game music on the original mission pack CDs consists of actual CD audio tracks, starting with track 2 on the CD. As such, the music tracks are not copied to your hard disk when you install the mission packs. The CD audio remains on the CD. If you want them, you'll have to extract them. However, there are pk3 archives available which contain the soundtrack of the mission pack. Here's how to get and install them:
- CD audio of Quake Mission pack 1: Scourge of Armagon:
- Download the soundtrack (SoA-HQ-Music.pk3)
- Copy the downloaded file to the HIPNOTIC folder, in this example c:\games\quakedp\HIPNOTIC\
- CD audio of Quake Mission pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity:
- Download the soundtrack (DoE-HQ-Music.pk3)
- Copy the downloaded file to the ROGUE folder, in this example c:\games\quakedp\ROGUE\
Mouse strafing issue after ALT+TAB
When you use ALT+TAB to switch Windows, or to exit full screen, and you return to the game (by pressing ALT+TAB again or the likes), you might find that when you move your mouse, your character strafes (moves from left to right, not turning). You can solve this issue by pressing the ALT key. To prevent this from happening you can also first press ESC in the game to go to the main menu and then press ALT+TAB.