Strife on Windows 7 and Windows 8, Vista and XP in high resolution
Strife is a first person shooter from 1996, based on the Doom engine. Other than Doom it contains RPG (role playing game) elements. Your character is also able to talk with other characters from the game. Gameplay depends on the choices the player makes during the game. The Strife game files (STRIFE1.WAD and VOICES.WAD) cannot be used by the Doomsday engine, hence this additional guide. We're going to use the ZDoom engine for this one. It works pretty good on all major Windows systems including Windows 8, but it's less configurable compared to the Doomsday Engine.
- Download Strife if you don't have the game
- You'll need the STRIFE1.WAD and VOICES.WAD files from the downloaded zip file
- ZDoom engine installed (see below)
Installation of ZDoom
- Download the latest version of the ZDoom engine (zdoom-2.7.x.zip)
- Copy the contents of the downloaded ZDoom zip file to an empty folder of choice, for example c:\games\zdoom
- Copy the Strife game files (STRIFE1.WAD and VOICES.WAD) to the ZDoom folder (in this case c:\games\zdoom)
Start and configure ZDoom
- Start ZDoom by double clicking zdoom.exe
- If there's no other WAD file in the ZDoom folder, Strife will automatically start
- Remember to check the video settings for optimal gaming pleasure! Click options and then display options and set video mode.