NES Nintendo emulator for Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7
Nestopia UE NES emulator
Based on the excellent Nestopia emulator by Martin Freij, Nestopia UE (Undead Edition) is one of the better NES emulators to play NES games on a Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista or XP computer.
- Latest version 1.46 (1 Sep 2014)
- Works on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, XP (32/64 bits)
- Needs DirectX 9.0c
- Emulates the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
- Supports .NES, .UNF, and .FDS cartridge image files
- Comments: works out of the box, keys are configured, netplay possible
- Project website http://0ldsk00l.ca/nestopia/
- Old project website http://nestopia.sourceforge.net
Play NES games with the Nestopia UE emulator on Windows 10, Windows 8 en Windows 7
So, what do you need to do to play NES games (like Legend of Zelda) on Windows with the Nestopia UE emulator?
- Make sure you have DirectX 9.0c installed
- Download the Nestopia UE Binary zip for Windows (nestopia_1.4x-win32.zip)
- Copy the contents of the zip file to an empty folder of choice
- Create a folder for your NES games in the Nestopia folder
- Search for a NES game file and copy it to the game folder you've created (if it's zipped, unzip it)
- Start Nestopia UE with nestopia.exe
- Choose Options - Input to check the controller settings
- Choose Options - Paths to configure the path to your games (first field, uncheck last visited)
- Choose File - Open to start your game of choice!
- To save a game, press F5
- To load a saved game, press F7
Windows 8 and 10: install DirectX 9
NEStopia needs DirectX 9.0c to run, otherwise you get an error message like "d3dx9_43.dll missing". As Windows 8 and 10 come with DirectX 11 and 12 by default (which does not include DirectX 9.0c and previous versions), you might need to install DirectX 9.0c manually. You can find download and installation instructions here.