Trashman (1984) - Commodore 64 Classic Game
Goal of the game
Collect all trash cans within the time limit (which is indicated by the bonus counter), without being run over by traffic. Complete 7 streets to receive a nomination for Trashman of the Year. Do this as fast and accurate as possible and collect all bonuses to get the highest score.
When you start in Staunton Lane, you have to pick up 5 trash cans. They're always in sight, either next to or at the back of a house. To pick up a trash can, just walk over it. If you've picked up a full bin, you'll walk slower than normal. Walk to the garbage truck with the bin and walk against the back of the truck to empty the bin. Shaking the bin once is enough to empty it. Walk back to the spot where you've picked up the bin. When you walk across the spot, you'll put the bin down again automatically. You'll notice that the garbage truck automatically moves upwards through the street, but it eventually will stop near the last house where you have to pick up garbage.
When you've emptied a trash can and delivered it back to the house and you've managed to do this without walking on the grass, walking away from the house, a housekeeper will appear at the door, inviting you in with varying invitations. Always accept the invitation, as you'll receive a bonus (and therefore time) and a funny response (which sometimes is rather ambiguous). Immediately leave after you entered the house. The amount of time you stay in won't affect your bonus in a positive way. Especially when you're in a cafe or a big house. Stay in too long and you'll end up with a stomach so full, you're barely able to walk. Or worse, you come out drunk, drifting about on the pavement!
There are some rules to follow if you want the highest score:
- Do not get run over by traffic. If this happens, an ambulance will show up (suggesting you will recover from the crash), only to determine that you're dead and the game ends.
- Do not walk on the grass ever. If you do, your bonus will decrease with a considerable faster rate. Bonus equals time limit. Furthermore, the housekeeper will stay inside, so you won't be able to pick up your bonus. And sometimes a dog appears from the house. The mutt tends to bite you. If it succeeds, you'll limp for a while, slowing you down considerably. Note that grass also appears to be direclty behind hedges, so avoid hedges!
- Make sure you pick up bonuses from the big house (with the car park in front of it) and the cafe, but leave as soon as possible (read on to find out why).
- Do not get hit by cyclists (who look like dogs, right?) on the sidewalk. They'll criple you and you'll limp for a short amount of time.
So where are the cans at?
You'll find them easy enough. Because it looks nice, we have made some screenshots of the streets from level 2 to the last level 7.
|Level 2 - Pultney Street - 6 bins
||Level 3 - Grove Street - 7 bins
||Level 4 - Lyncombe Vale - 8 bins
|Level 5 - Widcombe Hill - 10 bins||Level 6 - Lansdown Hill - 11 bins||Level 7 - Milsom Street - 12 bins|
All invitations and corresponding bonuses and responses when you accept the invitation from the housekeepers (if you have another one, please contact us!):
|Come and see the computer my auntie gave me.||Oh good! I thought I might need a license for it!!||45|
|Do you think I'm a megalomaniac?||Just give me a ZX81 and I'll control the world||50|
|Could you look at my T.V.?||I meant mend it not watch it.||50|
|Do you want a tip?||That's got Trashman worried. I'm his tax inspector.||50|
|Take this thing away my son is obsessed with it.||No one will ever believe I've picked up a COMMODORE 64.||50|
|Have you seen that delinquent son of mine?||Yes, you're right, you could call him a Maniac Minor.||55|
|Do you want a copy of 3D Monster Maze?||What on earth did you expect? An original !||55|
|Can you help me with an anagram? It's I,ENIGMA .||I'm not good at anagrams. I can't even imagine the answer.||55|
|Come and look at my COMMODORE 64 with a 4 megabyte memory.||Only trouble is , I've forgotten where I wanted it for !||60|
|Give us a hand mate.||That was NOT funny applauding when everything collapsed.||60|
|Hello Trashman. Your move this week, I think||It might be quicker playing chess with a computer !||65|
|Please help me find my little doggy woggy.||Well at least I know where he's been!||65|
|D'ya wan' a game of space invaders?||Get out! Zapping the cat is not part of the game!!||70|
|Come and see our new puppy||We had our old dog put down - the last trashman bit him!!||70|
|Help! The curtains are on fire!!||32 flames came out of my dragon!!||75|
|Oh dear! What shall I do? My husband has been taken away!||He was a schizoid!||75|
|HELP! My pet llama's running amok upstairs!||That was an AWESOME experience!||80|
|Are you the chimney sweep?||Sorry, but you must admit you have the same complexion.||80|
|Help me! Sophie's drowning. Can you revive her ?||If you hadn't laughed, the goldfish might still be alive!||85|
|Are you delivering my Sinclair QL?||You asked me that last year!||95|
|Could you look at my Commodore 64 ?||Sorry I think the elephant got there first.||95|
|Do you want to play some games on my Spectrum?||That was Virgin on the impossible !!!!!||95|
|Hey, Bilbo, help me solve this adventure||You're no help .HOPPIT!||100|
|What's that you're smoking in your pipe ?||Ahhhhh commodore.||100|
|When is a door not a door?||When it's a commodore. groan...........||100|
|Want a quick game of scrabble?||O.K. I give in.TRASHMAN is a proper name.||100|
|s ***||Don't worry you're just too tense.||105|
|Come here I've got something for you.||I'm surprised he's not crawling after wolfing that lot down. *||130|
|Come here I've got something for you.||I didn't mean you to eat it.||130|
|Would you like a quick byte?||Good grief! He liked it.||150|
|Would you like a quick byte?||I'm surprised he's not crawling after wolfing that lot down. *||150|
|Trashman. Try today's special, Paradise isle||But some like fried egg floating in a sea of grease||170|
|Come in for a quick pint||Well, milk's better for you !||230|
|One for the road?||Hic *! :, _ %## hic **||250|
|One for the road?||You're supposed to empty the bin not the barrel.||250|
|Fancy a swift ' arf ?||Hic *! :, _ %## hic **||270|
|Fancy a swift ' arf ?||Last time I saw Trashman 'e were pi-eyed and wiv a sailor.||270|
* Having this response, you're stomach's so full, you have trouble walking
** Having this response, you're drunk
*** Who knows what should be there???
- Trashman was originally created and released for the ZX Spectrum in 1984, hence quite some invitations hint to Sinclair computers.
- 3D Monster Maze was the first 3D game for a home computer (the Sinclair ZX81), created by Malcolm Evans, who also created Trashman.
- Maniac Minor refers to the ZX Spectrum game Manic Miner from 1983, which appears to be the first Spectrum game with in-game music.
- "Bilbo" and "hoppit" refer to J.R. Tolkiens book The Hobbit
- Space Invaders was one of the first shooting games, used in arcade machines. It was released in 1978.
- Pi-eyed refers to a ZX Spectrum game where you have to drink booze to complete the game.
- The cars in the game drive on the left side of the road.
Play Trashman on Windows 7 and 8, Vista or Windows XP
What do you need to play the game?