Here you can find instructions how to play Quake with the ezQuake engine.
- You need at least version 1.06 of Quake, thus version 1.01 needs to be patched
- Install or unzip Quake to an empty folder, for example c:\games\quake
- You can delete all files except the ID1 folder
Installation of the ezQuake engine
- Download the ezQuake installer file (ezquake_win32_2.1.exe)
- Save the file in a temporary folder
- Double click the installer file
- Choose to install ezQuake into the Quake folder c:\games\quake
Start and configure ezQuake
- Start ezQuake by double clicking the ezquake-gl.exe file in the c:\games\quake folder
- Check settings by clicking Options
- Check graphics settings by selecting the Graphics tab in the Options menu
- At Presets, set GFX Presets to High Eyecandy
- Check video settings by selecting the System tab in the Options menu
- Set Advanced Options to On
- At Video, set Anisotrophy Filter to 16 and Quality Mode to High
- At Screen Settings, set resolution to desired setting, set Wide Aspect to On if you have a wide screen, set Vertical Sync to On, remember to press Apply Changes if you change the screen settings!
- Save your settings by selecting the Config tab and choose Save Settings
- Return to the main menu with esc and start Quake!