Turok Dinosaur Hunter on Windows
Play Turok in high resolution with nGlide
Boosting sales for the Nintendo 64, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter was a hit on your Windows 95 PC back in 1997 as well. Running around like Doomguy and exploring like Lara Croft from Tomb Raider, this game provided sufficient entertainment to be busy for hours. And it still does. Although released for Windows 95, the game runs on 32 as well as 64 bit versions of Windows 11 and Windows 10. You might however encounter some graphical issues. Fortunately, there's a solution for that, which also allows you to play Turok in any resolution you want.
You can download the full Turok game. It supports high resolutions and wide screens, as well as dynamic lighting and other enhanced effects. It also has improved gameplay and level design.
If you already have the game, you can try out the following to play Turok in high resolution:
Download, install and configure nGlide
- Download and install nGlide if you haven't done so already
- Open the configuration utility of nGlide:
- Windows 7: press CTRL+ESC (or the start button), type in nglide and click on nGlide configurator
- Windows 8: press Windows key + Q, type in nglide and and click on nGlide configurator
- Windows 11 and 10: press Windows key + Q, type in nglide and press enter. If the configurator does not show, click on the first result (it's a link to the start menu) and double click the nGlide
- Set Screen resolution to By desktop
- Set Aspect ratio to 4:3 for the original screen size
- Click on Apply and then on Exit
Download and install Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
- Download Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
- Copy the contents of the downloaded zip file in an empty folder of choice, for example c:\games\turok
- Navigate to the Turok folder if you're not already in it, in this example c:\games\turok
- Right click on turok.exe, choose properties, click on the Compatibility tab, check the checkbox "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose "Windows 98 / ME" from the list. Click ok.
- Double click turok.exe, in this example c:\games\turok\turok.exe
- Enjoy the game!
When playing Turok this way, you'll encounter two major issues: sound track is lost and the map doesn't function properly. Solution to the sound track: get the original CD and install the game from CD. This should be possible on 32 and 64 bits Windows 7, 8 and Windows 10 systems. The map however just won't function.